If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, you deserve just compensation. Vaziri Law LLC has extensive experience handling slip and fall accidents and a proven track record of success in personal injury claims. When you meet with us, we will explain your rights and explore all of your options for recovering damages.
While negotiations with an insurance company resolve most injury claims, insurers often attempt to deny claims or pay as little as possible to protect their profits. We know how to level the playing field and will fight to protect your rights. Contact our office today to get started with an experienced Chicago slip and fall accident attorney.
Determining Liability In A Slip and Fall Accident
Slips, trips, and falls are common premises liability claims that often involve property owners, landlords, business owners, residential tenants, management companies, and other parties that control the property where the accident occurred.
In Illinois, all property owners are obligated to take reasonable steps to ensure their property is safe for visitors. Slip and fall accidents are sometimes pursued as negligence claims. A negligence claim involves the following elements:
- Duty – The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff
- Breach – The defendant breached their duty
- Causation – That breach caused a plaintiff’s injuries
- Damages – The plaintiff suffered actual damages (e.g. medical expenses, lost wages, pain & suffering, etc.)
Slip and fall accidents are also sometimes pursued pursuant to the Illinois Premises Liability Act. According to that statute, the plaintiff must prove the following elements:
- A hazardous condition on the property presented an unreasonable risk to visitors
- The property owner knew or should have known, that the condition posed an unreasonable risk of harm to visitors
- The property owner should have anticipated that visitors may fail to recognize the hazard or fail to protect themselves from it
- A negligent act or omission by the property owner
- The victim was injured as a direct result of the hazardous condition
Notably, Illinois is a modified comparative fault state. This means if you are more than 50 percent at fault for your slip and fall accident, you are barred from recovering damages. Also, if you are less than 50 percent at fault, the amount you can collect will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you. For example, suppose you slipped on a wet surface at the store that was not marked by a warning, but you were distracted by looking at your smartphone. In this situation, you may be found 20 percent at fault. If your damages amounted to $100,000, the amount you collect will be reduced to $80,000.
Given the challenges of a premises liability claim, working with an experienced Chicago slip and fall attorney is essential. You can depend on Vaziri Law LLC to explore all your legal options and protect your rights.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents commonly arise from hazards such as:
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Broken stairs
- Poorly secured banisters
- Torn carpeting
- Debris-obstructed walkways
- Poorly lit hallways
- Uneven or warped flooring
- Poorly secured rugs
If the property owner’s negligence caused or contributed to your injuries, we will work to hold them accountable and get you the maximum compensation you deserve.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the most common slip and fall injuries include:
- Hip fractures
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Fractures and sprains
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
The degree of injury varies based on the type of fall (e.g. from a height, down stairs, off a ladder, on a raised sidewalk) and the victim’s age and fitness level – older adults are more at risk.
Why Choose Vaziri Law LLC
If you have suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, let Vaziri Law LLC handle your claim. We will:
- Investigate and photograph the accident site
- Identify and interview witnesses
- Take over communications with the property owner’s insurance company
- Negotiate a fair and reasonable settlement
- Promptly file all legal paperwork, if necessary
We will demand full payment of your claim and file a negligence or premises liability lawsuit if the insurer fails to reasonably value your claim. Either way, we will fight to protect your rights and get you just compensation.
Damages We Will Fight For
Although no two injury claims are the same, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Medical Expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Above all, we will handle your claim with diligence and care and fight for every dollar you deserve.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Slip and Fall Attorney
Slip and fall accidents can result in serious injuries. Given the challenges of proving the property owner’s negligence, having the competent representation Vaziri Law LLC provides is essential. Contact us today for a free consultation. You will not pay any attorneys’ fees until we recover for you.
Vaziri Law LLC helps people who have suffered injuries in slip-and-fall accidents in Chicago and the surrounding area.