Pregnancy discrimination should be a thing of the past. But women in Chicago who are pregnant or plan to have children continue to face discrimination in the workplace. Whether you have been denied a job opportunity or another benefit of employment, it takes an experienced employment discrimination attorney to protect your rights.
At Vaziri Law, LLC, our employment law practice is dedicated to remedying pregnancy discrimination in workplaces throughout Illinois. Despite state and federal laws designed to protect women, many are subjected to various forms of discrimination related to pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related medical conditions.
When you consult with us, we will take the time to understand your circumstances, explain all your rights, and explore your options. We have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes through settlement negotiations and litigation and will fight to help you obtain just compensation. Contact us today so we can start working on your claim.
Fighting Pregnancy Discrimination in Chicago
Pregnancy discrimination is not always obvious, but it often occurs when a female employee or candidate is treated unfairly because of her pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related medical condition. In any event, all employment discrimination based on pregnancy is illegal, including:
- Refusing to hire or consider
- Denial of training opportunities, promotions, or benefits
- Unfair job evaluations
- Refusal to provide pregnancy accommodations
- Refusal to allow medical leave
- Elimination of an employee’s position during her leave
- Retaliation for complaining about pregnancy discrimination
- Wrongful termination
Harassment of pregnant employees is also considered pregnancy discrimination under state and federal law, such as:
- Unwanted teasing
- Posting cartoons or caricatures
- Making offensive comments about your condition
While an offhand remark or isolated incident is not likely to be considered discriminatory, conduct that rises to the level of a hostile work environment may be grounds for a lawsuit.
Pregnancy Accommodations in Chicago, Illinois
If you are pregnant, your medical condition entitles you to:
- Bathroom, water breaks
- Rest breaks
- Job restructuring/reassignment
- A modified work schedule
Employers must also make reasonable accommodations for nursing mothers, including break times in a private, quiet area (not a bathroom) in which they can express milk. Finally, employers are required to treat pregnant women who are unable to perform their jobs due to pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition no differently than other temporarily disabled workers.
How Vaziri Law Can Help With Your Pregnancy Discrimination Claim
We have in-depth knowledge of the federal and Illinois laws prohibiting pregnancy discrimination, including:
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 (PDA), which amended Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to include pregnancy, but which only applies to employers with 15 or more employees
- Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA), which covers all employers in the state, regardless of size
- Illinois Pregnancy Accommodation Law, which amended the IHRA to establish pregnancy as a legally protected classification
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which allows women to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid medical leave for pregnancy and related health conditions and allows both parents to take unpaid leave to care for a newborn
Although employers often disguise their discriminatory motives as reasonable behavior, our pregnancy discrimination attorney has the knowledge and experience to hold employers accountable and will fight for your rights.
Our legal team will handle all the details of your claim, including
- Conducting an extensive investigation
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Gathering medical evidence
- Negotiating a settlement with your employer and their attorney
- Filing a lawsuit, if necessary
You should know that to have a successful claim, we must be able to demonstrate that you were treated differently or suffered an adverse employment action due to your pregnancy. Trust our pregnancy discrimination attorneys to achieve the best possible outcome at the bargaining table or in the courtroom.
Recoverable Damages in a Pregnancy Discrimination Claim
In a successful discrimination case, you may be entitled to recover damages such as:
- Reinstatement if you were wrongfully terminated
- Lost wages (e.g. back pay, front pay)
- Loss of bonuses, raises, or other job benefits (e.g. health insurance)
- Promotion if you were demoted or failed to get a deserved promotion
- Medical costs for any harm resulting from lack of accommodations
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
If you have been demoted, reassigned, fired, or harassed because of your pregnancy, our legal team is on your side. We are committed to providing you with the powerful representation you need and fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Pregnancy Discrimination Attorney
If you believe you have been discriminated against because of your pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, turn to Vaziri Law, LLC. We will offer you knowledge, compassion, and dependable service. Above all, we will stand by you every step of the way and help you fight back against pregnancy discrimination. Contact our office today for a consultation.
Vaziri Law helps residents of Chicago with Pregnancy Discrimination including those who live in Cook County, Dupage County, Lake County, McHenry County, and Will County.