In spite of federal and state laws that prohibit age discrimination, older workers continue to be discriminated against in Chicago, throughout Illinois, and around the country. If you suspect that you have been discriminated against because of your age, it takes an experienced age discrimination attorney to protect your rights.
At Vaziri Law, LLC our practice is dedicated to helping workers fight back against all forms of discrimination. We have in-depth knowledge of the applicable anti-discrimination laws and the determination to hold businesses accountable for illegally making employment decisions based on someone’s age.
Given the challenges of taking legal action against an employer and proving an age discrimination claim, it is crucial to have powerful legal representation. Contact our office today to get started.
Age Discrimination Is Illegal in Chicago
Both federal and state laws protect you from age discrimination in the workplace, including:
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) makes it illegal for employers to discriminate against employees 40 years and older regarding any aspect of employment (e.g. hiring, compensating, promoting, terminating). The ADEA applies to employers with 20 or more employees.
- Older Workers Benefits Protection Act (OWBPA) amended the ADEA to protect older workers from being denied employment benefits because of their age.
- The Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA) prohibits employers from age discrimination in recruiting, hiring, promoting, and terminating. The IHRA provides stronger legal protections because it applies to all public and private employers with at least one employee.
In short, these laws prohibit employers from taking part in age discrimination. In addition, harassment based on age is considered unlawful. Harassment involves offensive comments or actions that are severe and pervasive enough to create a hostile work environment.
Proving Age Discrimination in Illinois
Employment practices that adversely impact employees and job candidates age 40 or older that are not based on a reasonable factor other than age may be illegal, such as:
- Hiring other candidates only because they are younger
- Denying training, education, or other benefits to older workers
- Excluding older workers from meetings and company events
- Forcing an older worker to retire while still fully capable of working
- Engaging in lay offs that target older employees
In any event. proving that an employer took action because of the victim’s age rather than some other factor is difficult because employers know how to conceal their discriminatory motives. We know how to level the playing field and will fight to protect your rights.
Why Choose Us?
Once you become our client, we will handle all the details of your age discrimination claim, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Collecting evidence (e.g. personnel files, employment reviews)
- Discovering a pattern of conduct
- Taking over communications with your employer and their attorneys
- Negotiating a fair and reasonable settlement
- Filing an lawsuit if necessary
Though you may have concerns about pursuing a claim against your employer, you cannot be legally retaliated against for complaining about age discrimination. Trust Vaziri Law, LLC to address your concerns by providing you with trustworthy advice and fighting to protect your employment rights. While many employment-related claims can and should be resolved through negotiations, we are fully prepared to litigate to achieve the best possible outcome.
Damages We Will Fight To Win
While no two age discrimination cases are the same, you may be awarded monetary damages such as:
- Back wages
- Front pay
- Lost benefits (e.g. health and pension)
- Bonus payments
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Attorneys’ fees and court costs
Depending on the circumstances, the court may also provide equitable relief by ordering your employer to take certain actions. For example, if you were fired solely because of your age, the court may order your employer to reinstate or promote you or provide training that you were denied.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Age Discrimination Attorney
Although older workers have knowledge and experience that can add value to any workplace, age discrimination is common. Whether you have been denied employment or a promotion because of your age, harassed at work, or suddenly terminated once you reached a “certain age,” let Vaziri Law, LLC right this wrong.
We have a proven history of achieving positive outcomes in arbitration and court proceedings and will make sure your rights are protected. We offer free consultations and you will not have any out-of-pocket legal costs. Contact us today so our age discrimination attorney can start working on your claim.